Elderberry Syrup is a potent cold and flu remedy! Keep in mind that I am not a doctor, just a mama on a mission to keep my family healthy so please consult your doctor before taking natural remedies or vitamins!!
Copied from WebMD:
“Elderberry is a plant. The berries are used to make medicine. Do not confuse elderberry with American Elder, Elderflower, or Dwarf Elder.
Elderberry is used for “the flu” (influenza), H1N1 “swine” flu, HIV/AIDS, and boosting the immune system. It is also used for sinus pain, back and leg pain (sciatica), nerve pain (neuralgia), and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) .
Some people use elderberry for hay fever (allergic rhinitis), cancer, as a laxative for constipation, to increase urine flow, and to cause sweating.
Elderberry fruit is also used for making wine and as a food flavoring.”
Elderberry might affect the immune system. Elderberry seems to have activity against viruses including the flu and might reduce inflammation.
This is a study that was done on Elderyberries and the FLU
Pretty awesome little berries aren't they??
These are the dried Elderberries I use to make my syrup.
If you want a smaller bag try these:
Ok now we are ready make our own Homemade Elderberry Syrup!!! It's really easy and makes your house smell amazing!! It's good for 3-4 weeks in the fridge. We usually use up our whole batch during that time but you can also freeze some for later.
- 1/2 Cup organic elderberries
- 2 TBS fresh ginger root
- 4 Whole cloves
- 3 Cups water
- 1 Organic cinnamon stick
- 2 Chinese star anise
- 1 Cup honey (we only use local honey. If you can't find local honey use raw honey)
- Pour water into medium saucepan and add elderberries, ginger, cinnamon, star anise and cloves (DO NOT ADD HONEY)
- Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 45 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by almost half
- Remove from heat and let cool enough to be handled
- Pour through a strainer into a glass jar or bowl
- Discard the elderberries and spices and let the liquid cool to lukewarm
- When no longer hot add cup of honey and stir well
- Once cool pour into a mason jar or glass jar
- Store in fridge and take daily for its immune boosting properties
We take it daily for immune support, 1 tablespoon for adults and 1/2 teaspoon for the kids. If cold or flu strikes take the normal dose every 2-3 hours until symptoms disappear.
These are the Organic Star Anise I use:
If making your own Elderberry Syrup isn't for you try this pre-made brand:
For more recipes like this please join us on Facebook in our group HEALTHY HUSTLERS